Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I am interested in changing careers, advice please?

I am qualified as a mental health nurse. I also hate what nursing has become and my real passion has developed and I am stumped about how to get into it at this stage of my life. I am 31 and I really want to work with animal charities or the RSPCA. What direction do you go in when you decide to change careers into something completely unrelated? I have only ever known psychiatry. Any advice would be appreciatedI am interested in changing careers, advice please?
You should talk to a career counselor.



I changed careers when I was 30.

This is a common age to consider a career change.

I went back to school to learn what I needed and took industry certification exams. I got an entry level position and my career took off....because I liked the new career better.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Career_Coun

Career Counselling and career coaching are similar in nature to traditional counselling (Kim, Li, Lian, 2002). However, the focus is generally on issues such as career exploration, career change, personal career development and other career related issues (Swanson, 1995). Typically when people come for career counselling they know exactly what they want to get out of the process, but are unsure about how it will work (Galassi, Crace, Martin, James, and Wallace, 1992).



Career counsellors work with people from all walks of life such as adolescents looking to explore career options or with experienced professionals looking for a career change. Career counsellors typically have a background in psychology, vocational psychology, or industrial/organizational psychology (Swanson %26amp; Parcover, 1998).



The approach of career counselling varies by practitioner, but generally they include the completion of one or more assessments (Swanson %26amp; Parcover, 1998). These assessments typically include: interest inventories, cognitive ability tests, and personality assessments.
  • Blankets
  • anyone been unemployed
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment