Thursday, September 22, 2011

Advice on changing careers from counseling to journalism?

My passion is writing, but I also feel drawn to helping others, hence my choice to pursue counseling. I've always wanted to be a journalist, since I was a kid, but I didn't have the courage at the time I was in school to really go for it. It was such a dream, I didn't want to fail. So, by trying to save myself from rejection... I didn't try. Talk about failing. Anyway, I am a good helper, no doubt, but counselor...I'm not passionate about it, and I feel like I should be. Maybe the way I can help is through writing? So, anyway, I'm tired of being afraid of rejection and running from my dreams, so, now, I want to get into journalism. I would LOVE to find something with NPR. I am asking here because I want real person advice, not blogs and blurbs from the internet. How do I make the switch? Should I go back to school or will it make a difference? I already have a masters degree. So, any wisdom from anyone who's done it or doing it or thought about it? Thank you so much!!!Advice on changing careers from counseling to journalism?
Stick with the counselling, I know lots of starving %26quot;writers%26quot;



Worked for newspapers and mags their whole lives and never made any money.Advice on changing careers from counseling to journalism?
If you arent passionate about counseling, I wonder how much you are really helping. However if you already have a Masters it is a big expense to start over with something else. I like your idea about helping through writing. Why not consider writing a book or two about your counseling experiences? Also why not have your patients journal and share their writing with you? You would be surprised at what amazing writers some troubled people are. Also you could do something like put together a book of writings of your patients to raise money for the center where you work. You could also get a local newspaper to allow you to write an advice column on a regular basis. There are a lot of things you can do without stopping your life and going back to school. If you are a writer, be creative and find ways to use both of your gifts. Pax - C

No comments:

Post a Comment