Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Can someone help me with some career change advice?

I am looking to change career as I have been teaching and as I am sure many others do, I have decided that it's not for me. I'm looking into working for a charity, as I love fundraising and have a passion for charity work. What I'm struggling on is how to justify this career move in my CV. I'm trying to write a good profile but don't know where to start :(Can someone help me with some career change advice?
Hi there

A good place to start is with a skills audit.

Think about all the skills that you have gained through teaching (or elsewhere) that would be transferrable to the kind of job you're interested and write lists

These might include things like the ability to engage audiences, a talent for disseminating complex information in an easily understood way and flexibility and responsiveness.



Charities are always looking for good fundraisers (paid and unpaid) and you can them frame those skills within the terms laid out in job ads



Your application might be more convincing if you have some quality voluntary work under your belt first, it doesn't have to be extensive, but being able to say 'reframed short and long term strategy for achieving 拢300k findraising target to reroof village church' or similar would certainly carry a lot of weight. You say you love fundraising so it sounds like you've already ticked this box?



You'd be competing against people with qualifications in the area so it might be worth considering an evening course in one of the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) qualifications - available in a wide range fo formats at most universities and by distance learning. You wouldn't necessarily have had to have completed the qualification for it to help you get jobs, just the fact that you've started it can look impressive



I don't think you need to talk at length about your career change - it can sound awkward and 'she doth protest too much' when people do that. Just state matter-of-factly that you have realised this is where your talents and passions lie and then go on to evidence it with the details above



I hope some of this is useful - good luck!Can someone help me with some career change advice?
Hi!! Say i have been teaching now for (enter) and with the altering of teaching methods of late i have become disenchanted with the profession as have many others.

I have a passion for fund-raising, and charitable work and therefore i think that i would get more job satisfaction doing that work, as i used to have teaching before the constant changes that are experienced now.

Something along that framework will be OK. go to it and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment