Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do you weigh the positives and negatives fairly when you want to change careers?

I am looking at a field that is nowhere close to what I had studied before. I understand that I will need further education; but what my question is when is too much just that- TOO Much?



If I go back to school, I will have to go on a full-time basis for two years- There is no part-time at night option for what I am looking for.



I do not want to be selfish here, I have young children with daycare and tuition to think about. My husband in not necessarily the most supportive- especially when things are tight now. When I would be in school, this would be even worse.



Yes- I have a college degree, but I absolutely dread what I am doing. I have no desire to get up in the morning and belittle myself on a daily basis. I have looked for another position; nothing has come along.



I am at the point where I need to go back to school to get a Masters in this field- that I cannot stand. My husband would support me going back for the Masters because I could work Full-time withHow do you weigh the positives and negatives fairly when you want to change careers?
Take a step back and look at your situation in a realistic manor.



Can you afford to go to school? Even with the help from scholarships and grants/loans without placing yourself into a financial mess? Will a position at night help out enough to make it worthwhile- would you be spending more on gas than what you would make?



If you can honestly say yes to these answers- then jump right in. If not, you need to come up with a logical plan to help you get you where you need to be.



I understand the desire to get out of a bad situation (sitting in one right now) but you need to make sure that what you are considering will not become a grass is always green on the other side scenario.



This by no means is a statement telling you to give up on your dream- but rather a wake up for you to do some planning to get you financially ready to take this step.



If your husband could see the financial side of things in order you might have an easier time getting his support.



Good Luck.How do you weigh the positives and negatives fairly when you want to change careers?
first of all girlfriend get rid of that depression!!!! you have alot to be thankful for;) husband, kids and a job.

if i were you id look into online universitys! I swear by mine i attend colorado technical unviersity. it leaves me time to work 2 fulltime jobs, be with my family and attend my classes online. www.ctuonline.edu just look into a few google accredited online universitys. stick with your job while your doing your classes it gives you something to look forward too hence the dreading the job should pass because you'll have something to be happy about!!!:) i start looking for a job in whatever field it is your trying to get into once your halfway to graduating you can atleast show the potential employer that you are in college and sometimes they take that into consideration and hire you! good luck and i hope your depression surpasses:)How do you weigh the positives and negatives fairly when you want to change careers?
Been there -- I was Director of IT at a big insurance co and hated every second of the job. Did the job well, got good money, well respected, hated going to work. I wanted to be a lawyer. Like you I have financial responsibilities. I cashed in my retirement fund in order to pay for the education. I also found a law school that had night classes. It was a bear to work 10 hours in my office then do night classes with homework, but it is doable.



My suggestion is that you do more research on your options. It took me almost 3 years to get the right combination of funding and school put together. Keep looking, once you find the right mix, you will know it. Then do a tight budget to make sure that your finances will not interfere in your education. Do not overlook the school's placement office which may be able to assist you with a part time job (on or off campus).



Husbands ... you will need his support so involve him in you research. I would ask mine to help make decisions -- some that were already made. My going to my husband was a way for me to vocalize what I have found out and my plans. Sometimes when you make yourself speak the plans out loud they become solid in your mind.
  • client side script
  • how to make banners in frontpage
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment