Thursday, September 22, 2011

How should I target my resume for a job in learning and development?

I am looking to change careers from being a teacher to working in a company in their learning and development department. For example, being a corporate trainer.

What kind of things can I add to my resume to make me an ideal candidate?How should I target my resume for a job in learning and development?
I would look at the job requirements for a training job that you're interested in, and make sure you highlight skills and experience that you've acquired from teaching, that they also want in a training position. I'd definitely mention computer training you've received or taught, on-going education you've received, conferences you've attended, awards you've received, in additon to topics you've taught or been trained in.



If you've taught adults in any capacity, even in a volunteer position, I would describe it, since adult training is different from teaching children or young adults. Corporate training often involves working with managers and technical staff, so I'd highlight any experiences you've had with those. A trainer often has to assess client needs, develop courseware, deliver training, and evaluate training. I'd highlight course instructional design that you've developed, highlight the years you've delivered classroom instruction, and list any evaluation instruments you've developed. I'd list all the software you have experience with (Word, Excel, etc), and it would help if you became familiar with online instruction, since many companies are adding it to save costs. At minimum you should have taken an online course so you can intelligently discuss it.



Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment