Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I overcome the lack of a degree with 25 years of experiance?

I am looking to change careers, but have no degree. I have 25 years of experiance but can't get my degreeless resume past the HR folks.How do I overcome the lack of a degree with 25 years of experiance?
I am in the same boat. If you have ever attended school, list it. I put my degree I was working towards, even though I didn't finish. Then I put in small letters, not complete. Or as they say-might be time to get that degree. Boy this world has changed overnight.How do I overcome the lack of a degree with 25 years of experiance?
why not go back to college or take courses in continuing studies? this way, you can indicate on your resume that you're working towards a degree. that would get more notice than not having a degree at all. it's never too late to go back to school. and in this market, most employers find those with a masters degree more appealing. also, organize your resume, so that it shows your career progression (increase in responsibilities, e.g., supervisor to manager, to director, to vp, etc).How do I overcome the lack of a degree with 25 years of experiance?
I can't help you, but I know exactly what you mean. Nowadays experience counts for nothing, and a little piece of paper means everything. Consequently businesses are filled with educated idiots, and incompetence runs rampant.How do I overcome the lack of a degree with 25 years of experiance?
LUCK. Sometimes even though you know a lot of people in the industry - you will still have a hard time getting in or getting promotion. You will be hired, but, somebody new, will be on top of you inspite of long experience you have. Companies also look for stability and competitiveness of employee - if your knowledge in the job has basic charateristic - like you don't have the modern skills and knowledge that you will only get from school - you will just be supervised by a new comer who is much younger than you and sometimes you have to train them too. (And of course, that hurt your ego).How do I overcome the lack of a degree with 25 years of experiance?
You don't say what type of position your looking for. A lot of companies will take %26quot;x%26quot; years applied experience in place of education.



While it's getting harder %26amp; harder without a degree; those with a solid work ethic and years of hands on experience can still qualify for really decent positions.How do I overcome the lack of a degree with 25 years of experiance?
What field are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment