Thursday, September 22, 2011

Advice on changing careers from counseling to journalism?

My passion is writing, but I also feel drawn to helping others, hence my choice to pursue counseling. I've always wanted to be a journalist, since I was a kid, but I didn't have the courage at the time I was in school to really go for it. It was such a dream, I didn't want to fail. So, by trying to save myself from rejection... I didn't try. Talk about failing. Anyway, I am a good helper, no doubt, but counselor...I'm not passionate about it, and I feel like I should be. Maybe the way I can help is through writing? So, anyway, I'm tired of being afraid of rejection and running from my dreams, so, now, I want to get into journalism. I would LOVE to find something with NPR. I am asking here because I want real person advice, not blogs and blurbs from the internet. How do I make the switch? Should I go back to school or will it make a difference? I already have a masters degree. So, any wisdom from anyone who's done it or doing it or thought about it? Thank you so much!!!Advice on changing careers from counseling to journalism?
Sounds like you have good habits for Journalism. I do alot of journal type writing, thus I incorporate it into poetry so to speak for music. It takes the inner thought, and to be able to present those skills it must be built upon habit. Counseling is a great mental habit. If you really like it then your already inspired. You have the wisdom you need just utilize it in your writing.

What helps perk your ideas is to use those analyzing skills on reading and how someone rights. Don't re-frame yourself from your passion.. Admit what comes across your mind and what you believe. They have classes you can take. A friend does stuff for magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment