Thursday, September 22, 2011

Changing careers. Need help?

I want to change careers desperately. The problem is that I WANT a job that has fewer responsiblities and with that comes less pay. I keep getting passed over for this %26quot;type%26quot; of job because they say that I am overqualified and wouldn't stay with their establishment because I would sooner or later find a better paying job and they feel as if they must start me off at the top of the pay scale and I would have no room for advancement. I desperately want to change careers and if it means much less pay -- I don't care! How do I let the potential employer know this without sounding desperate or like I can't handle responsibility? (I have been in the same industry for 8 years)Changing careers. Need help?
Explain to your potential employers that it's not about the pay--it's about what type of work you're really passionate about. It sounds like you are burnt out in your current career path and would desperately like to switch to a completely different career path. Stress to them that this career shift is a conscious shift, one you've thought long and hard about. Let them know you are fully aware of the differing payscale and tell them it is not an issue for you, as you really want the opportunity that this new direction could take you in.



Best of luck...I've been there and done it. It's a good move! :)Changing careers. Need help?
Tell the employer that you are looking for a job with less stress than your previous job.Changing careers. Need help?
First learn about the new type of job you want to have. Learn the lingo, what it implies. Then ask yourself why you want to change. Changing for lower responsibilities is not what an employer wants to hear. They want motivated people, go-getter, and ready to do the job. Your change should be motivated by something like: “I want to make a difference” or “it would be a nice fit or compliment to my existing career” or “I realized through my passed job experience that this new career would be a nice fit, or I made for this job”…..

The reaction from the recruiter should be that you have no experience to which you should respond that you are ready to take some pay cut in order to compensate for this inexperience. No way can you say you want less responsibility or a more lay back job. When recruiter turn down people they just look for a simple and inevitable excuse such as you are overqualified, because they do not want to be sued for discrimination.Changing careers. Need help?
I would simply say that I want to simplify my life. If they mention the lower pay, mention that you are prepared to down-size if necessary.Changing careers. Need help?
i would say that im moving and my other job was very stressful and im willing to make adjustments in a new job

No comments:

Post a Comment